A contiguous program leading to a bachelor of science and a master of science degree in chemical engineering is offered to a UCSD Chemical Engineering student with junior standing who has an upper-division GPA of 3.5 or better and a 3.0 overall UC San Diego GPA.
During the last quarter of their junior year (more specifically, the fourth quarter prior to the receipt of the B.S. degree), students interested in obtaining the M.S. degree within one year following receipt of the B.S. degree may apply to the department for admission to the program. Students must submit 3 letters of reference from their professors with their application.
Students must meet the requirements of both the B.S. and M.S. program, such as courses and credits. There are no overlaps in courses. Upon completion of the B.S./M.S. program, students are not automatically eligible for admission to the Ph.D. Program.
What are the advantages of students doing a B.S./M.S.?
- Students are admitted without having to take the GREs.
- Students can start taking M.S. elective courses during their senior year and therefore, take more graduate courses overall. M.S. core classes can only be taken as a graduate student.
- Students may be able to start a M.S. thesis project earlier.
Note: Students still have both M.S. plans as options (coursework or thesis M.S.). This does not reduce the number of courses to be taken in either degree.
- All M.S. students need to take 5 core classes as stated in the catalog, and core courses must be taken during the M.S.
- Courses taken cannot be counted for both the B.S. and the M.S. program.
The M.S. program is intended to extend and broaden an undergraduate background and/or equip practicing engineers with fundamental knowledge in their particular fields. The degree is offered under both the Thesis Plan I and the Comprehensive Examination Plan II.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B.S./M.S. application form (click on Apply Now, ensure that you select B.S./M.S. for Degree Type, and 2023 Fall for Entry Term)
The BS/MS application will close on 6/3/22, and is only open to current UCSD NanoEngineering and Chemical Engineering undergraduate students.
Note, the link to the application is not available until the application cycle begins, which is during Spring Quarter.