Study Abroad (EAP)

Complete a petition for each course you plan to take abroad.  You will need to submit a petition to the NanoEngineering Department the quarter before you leave.  

Unique opportunities to fulfill your chemical engineering or nanoengineering prerequisites or college G.E.’s are available at many host institutions worldwide through the University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP) or Study Abroad UC San Diego.

While it is possible for chemical and nanoengineering majors to go abroad, it is very important to plan to go “sooner rather than later,” as the particular quarter, semester, summer or year that you study abroad depends on your individual progress in your major and what courses you plan to take while abroad. Because of the sequential nature of many of your required courses in the major, timing of your study abroad program will be critical if you plan to graduate in four years. Careful planning with a department advisor will ensure you are aware of all of the opportunities available to you in fulfilling department requirements.

Study on EAP/ Study Abroad can be comparable to the cost of study at UC. In some cases, it is less. EAP participants pay UC fees and continue to receive UC financial aid while abroad. Furthermore, EAP students are eligible for special grants and scholarships from UC, the host country, and other sources.

Study Abroad students may retain all or some of their funding while abroad, including special study abroad scholarships, but because of the variety of the programs found through Study Abroad, costs for individual programs can vary greatly.

The Education Abroad Program places students at a number of outstanding universities abroad. For a summary of EAP opportunities by country, please visit

For specific information about scholarships and financial aid, please visit

Students wishing to study abroad should take the following steps:

  1. Start your research in the Programs Abroad Library
  2. Attend a First Steps meeting
  3. Visit to see what's in store!
  4. Meet with a Programs Abroad advisor
  5. Schedule a visit with a chemical/nanoengineering advisor
  6. Complete a petition for each course you plan to take abroad, requesting to substitute a course.  You will need to submit a petition to the NanoEngineering Department the quarter before you leave. You must provide documentation from the University course in the form of a full syllabus (not just the course catalog description).
  7. Complete your Academic Planning Form
  8. Visit your college advising office